In cooperation with the City of Vancouver, SPEC is hosting 8 repair cafes for 2023 in support of the City’s Zero Waste by 2040 goals and SPEC’s Zero Waste Committee education and advocacy programs.
Book one free appointment time slot between 9:00am-1:00pm to receive in person repair help from our volunteer repairers.
What is a Repair Café?
Started in Amsterdam in 2009, Repair Café is a global initiative that aims to reduce the volume of waste sent to landfills, and to change society’s “throw-away” mindset.
Repair Café brings together local repair volunteers with a knack for repairing who are willing to lend their knowledge and show event participants how to carry out repairs.
The more we can repair, reuse, and recycle the longer products stay in circulation.
Repair Café Locations and Dates
Repair Café Dates
- February 18, Hastings Community Center Full!
- March 18, Trout Lake Community Center Full!
- April 22, City Hall Reserve a Spot
- May 20, Killarney Community Center Reserve a Spot
- June 17, City Hall Reserve a Spot
- July 22, Hillcrest Reservations coming soon!
- August 19, Union Gospel Mission Reservations coming soon!
- September 16, City Hall Reservations coming soon!
- Small appliances and electronics
- Clothing and textiles
Volunteers are integral to the functioning of a repair café. We are currently seeking volunteers for the following roles:
- Greet visitor at the entrance and confirm their appointment on the guest list
- Ask visitor to complete waiver form and confirm item being repaired
- Review House Rules with guest
- Ensure item being repaired is clean – instruct visitor to clean food particles, dust, etc.
- Introduce visitor to their repair volunteer
- Ensure data is collected before visitor leaves
- Set up and clean up
- Repair Data collection
- Small appliances
- Books and paper repair