In cooperation with the City of Vancouver, SPEC is hosting 9 repair cafes in 2024 in support of the City’s Zero Waste by 2040 goals and SPEC’s Zero Waste Committee education and advocacy programs.
What is a Repair Café?
Started in Amsterdam in 2009, Repair Café is a global initiative that aims to reduce the volume of waste sent to landfills, and to change society’s “throw-away” mindset.
Repair Café brings together local repair volunteers with a knack for repairing who are willing to lend their knowledge and show event participants how to carry out repairs.
SPEC Repair Cafés allow community members to bring bicycles, small appliances, textiles, and electronics to be diagnosed and repaired. Some items may not be repaired at the Café if replacement parts are needed. For smart phone screen replacement, please bring a new screen to your appointment. We are unable to repair large appliances and zippers at this time.
The more we can repair, reuse, and recycle the longer products stay in circulation.
2024 Repair Cafes
February – Hastings Community Centre
March – Trout Lake Community Centre
April – City Hall
May – Killarney Community Centre
Stay up to date with registration openings and other SPEC news by signing up to our newsletter:
Volunteers are integral to the functioning of a repair café. Below are a list of volunteers opportunities that we are currently recruiting for. To become a volunteer, click the link below to register and the Repair Cafe Coordinator will email you with further details.
Registration/ Check-in volunteers are the first people to interact with participants when they enter the Repair Café. Tasks include:
- Greet visitor at the entrance and confirm their appointment on the guest list
- Ask visitor to complete waiver form and confirm item being repaired
- Review House Rules with guest
- Ensure item being repaired is clean – instruct visitor to clean food particles, dust, etc.
- Introduce visitor to their repair volunteer
- Ensure data is collected before visitor leaves
Event support volunteers help to ensure the event is running smoothly through the day. Tasks include:
- Set up tables and chairs
- Prepare coffee and refreshment table
- Post directional signs
- Help with Repair Data collection
- Put away tables and chairs post event
- Collect directional signs
- Pack refreshment supplies
- Help transport Event Supplies, if needed
- Small appliances
- Books and paper repair