Contractor: Repair Café Coordinator
SPEC is a non-profit, charitable, and volunteer-driven organization. Spec was founded in 1969 and has a long history of environmental advocacy. Our aim is to empower local communities in the Lower Mainland to build a greener future through interactive programs and activities. Our areas of work include food security, zero waste, renewable energy and protection of local land and water resources.
Job Title: Repair Café Coordinator
Hours per week: Approximately 16 hours per week
Pay per hour: $25/hour
Contract Duration: Dec 5, 2022 to Sept 30, 2023
Extension dependent on funding
Work Location: City of Vancouver; Various event venues and community centres, PLUS remote work.
In cooperation with the City of Vancouver, SPEC is producing 8 public Repair Café events. A Repair Café is a
one-day event where members of the public bring their small appliance, electronic product or item of
clothing to be repaired on-site by a Volunteer “Fixer”. SPEC and the City of Vancouver offer these events
free to the general public, in support of the City of Vancouver’s Zero Waste by 2040 goals, and the SPEC
Zero Waste Committee education and advocacy programs.
We require a part-time coordinator who will be responsible for the planning, execution, and reporting of
one Repair Café event per month from February 2023 to September 2023.
- Update and maintain the Repair Café Website
- Seek, coordinate, and train volunteer ‘Fixers’ for each event
- Register guests and Fixers for each event
- Promote each event to the general public
- Oversee signage design, creation, and display
- Transport event materials to the venues
- Oversee the Repair Café Event assistant
- Site safety orientation, site plan, signs, and traffic control
- Safely collect, pack, and load equipment into and out of each event
- Learn and communicate health and safety procedures for each venue
- Site tour/assessment of each venue
- Ensure guests and volunteers sign waivers
- Arrange for Volunteer refreshments
- Site set-up
- Leave each venue clean
- Track and report repair metrics, and complete a brief post-event summary report
- Driver’s license (car share membership a bonus)
- Experience in event planning, waste reduction, volunteer coordination, and repair work
- Experience in office administration, Zoom, and Gmail.
- Strong interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills
- Comfortable working under minimal supervision
- Self-motivated, organized, and strong time-management skills
- Keen interest in environmental issues and urban sustainability
- Have access to a cell phone and computer
- Capable of lifting up to 40 lbs
- Proficient in writing and speaking in the English language
- Available for our 2023 event dates: February 18, March 18, April 22, May 20, June 17,
July 22, August 18, September 15
SPEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Please forward your resume and cover letter quoting “Repair Café Coordinator” in the subject line before Nov 30th to email@example.com. The position’s estimated start date is Dec 5th, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.